- Introduction: The Jewish–Muslim Question in Modern France
- 1. Jewish, Muslim, and Possibly French
- 2. Pushing the Boundaries of Mediterranean France
- 3. Jews as Muslims and Muslims as Jews
- 4. Expanding the Republic or Ending the Empire?
- 5. A Time of Choosing
- 6. Higher Fences, Better Neighbors?
- 7. Jews as Jews and Muslims as Muslims
- Conclusion: Jews and Muslims Always and Forever?
- Selected Bibliography
The Burdens of Brotherhood
Jews and Muslims from North Africa to France
$37.00 • £26.95 • €33.50
Publication: November 2015
Awards & Accolades
- 2016 American Library in Paris Book Award, The American Library in Paris and the Florence Gould Foundation
- 2015 JDC–Herbert Katzki Award for Writing Based on Archival Material, National Jewish Book Awards, Jewish Book Council
- Honorable Mention, 2014–2015 Laurence Wylie Prize in French Cultural Studies, Department of French at New York University