Complete access to the digital Dictionary of American Regional English is available to individuals via annual subscription. Order a subscription via the link above and we’ll contact you with account setup materials within 2–3 business days.
Licensed access is also available to institutions. Learn how to subscribe »
The digital Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE), located at www.daredictionary.com, offers powerful reference searching and interactive browsing by region, quotations with a complete bibliography extending from the seventeenth century through the twenty-first, and maps illustrating where words were collected. The addition of DARE Survey data and audio recordings provides an incredibly valuable, dynamic resource for understanding the demographic, topical, and regional nature of words and their usage.
- Dictionary entries: Consult over 40,000 entries with definitions, example quotations, regions, pronunciation, usage, etymology, cross-references, variants, and related words
- Search and browse: Find entries easily with context, filters, and advanced options
- Regional browse: Explore an interactive map to learn more about regions
- Word wheel: Scroll through dictionary entries to discover words serendipitously
- Audio recordings: Hear over 5,000 original field recordings from the DARE Survey
- Entry maps: See regional distribution of words illustrated with over 4,500 maps
- Bibliography: Examine over 12,000 published sources, cited in the dictionary entries
- DARE Survey and Questionnaire data: Explore 1,900 questions in 40 topics and investigate the background of over 2,500 informants
- Personalization: Save custom searches and dictionary terms to “My DARE”