Resources for Authors
Harvard University Press is proud to publish works on a wide range of subjects. Find out more about each editor’s areas of interest and see recent works that are representative of their publishing programs.
Our Editorial Department exhibits books and greets attendees at dozens of academic conferences every year. View a full schedule of exhibits planned for the current year.
Read an overview of our proposals process: questions to consider when preparing a book proposal, information that should be included, and how proposals are handled.
Manuscript and Art Preparation Guidelines
The following documents [PDF] contain our most current guidelines for preparing a manuscript and any accompanying artwork for submission.
- Manuscript Preparation—Overview
- Preparing Graphics and Illustrations
- Obtaining Permission to Reproduce Content from Other Sources
- Preparing and Formatting Notes
- Formatting Author-Date Citations and Reference Lists*
- Reading and Responding to Page Proofs
* Use this method for manuscripts in the social and natural sciences.
If you have further questions, please contact us.
Royalties for Foreign Authors
All foreign authors are required to fill out the Vendor Request Form in order to receive royalty payments from Harvard University Press.
Additionally, United States tax law requires that Harvard University withhold 30% of any payment to foreign individuals. However, foreign individuals who reside in countries that have a tax treaty with the United States can apply for an exemption from this requirement.
See our page on royalties for foreign individuals for details.