Looking for information about royalties for foreign authors? The page has moved. Please update your bookmarks.

Royalty Statements: Common Terms

  • Payee: This is your unique identification number within Harvard University Press.
  • Print Date: When the statement was printed, not the date it was mailed. For a mailing date, please look on the envelope.
  • Less Payment: How much you will be paid for that particular book on this royalty statement.
  • Total Pay Amount and Net Payment: You will receive a check for this amount, minus any taxes.
  • If payment is due, check will arrive under separate cover: A check will arrive at a later time. If no check has arrived after 3 weeks, please .
  • Closing balance (carried forward): This is the amount HUP will carry forward to next year’s royalty statement.
  • Domestic Regular: Books sold in the United States at normal discount rates.
  • Domestic Special: Books sold in the United States at high discount rates.
  • Export Regular: Books sold outside the United States at normal discount rates.
  • Export Special: Books sold outside the United States at high discount rates.
  • Returns provision withheld: This is the 15% of your royalties earned for the current year that HUP will hold for 1 year. The money will be returned to your statement the following year.
  • Returns provision paid back: This is money that HUP withheld the previous year. This money is included in your current royalty statement.
  • Royalty advance: The amount you were paid prior to the publication of the book.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the check arrive?

Assuming that your paperwork is in order, a check should arrive within 3 weeks.

How do I change my address?

Please send your new address information to the Royalty Department by or regular mail (Royalty Department, Harvard University Press, 79 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA). Be sure to include your name, address, and Payee number. We do not accept address changes over the telephone.

Are royalties paid in foreign currencies?

Royalties are payable in U.S. dollars only. If you are outside the United States, you may wish to review our requirements regarding Royalties for Foreign Authors.

What is the minimum payment value?

The minimum threshold for royalties is $150.00.

I received a letter asking me to fill out and submit a W-9, but I know I have done this in the past. Why do I have to do this again?

If you have not been paid by Harvard within a couple of years, Harvard’s central accounting office will deactivate your account. A W-9 is the only way to reactivate your account if you are a U.S. citizen.

Will I receive a 1099?

An author receives a 1099 in January if he or she received a payment from HUP during the previous calendar year. For example, if you received any payments during 2015, you should have received a 1099 in January 2016 for use when completing your 2015 tax return by April 15, 2016. If you have not received a 1099 for calendar year 2015 and you believe this is an error, please .

Why does the 1099 I just received not match the royalty statement?

1099s are for payments received during the previous calendar year. Those payments are based on the royalty statement of the year before that. So for example, if you received a 1099 for 2015, it is for a payment that you received in 2015. That payment, in turn, was based on your 2014 royalty statement.

Can I receive my royalty payment by wire or electronic transfer?

Yes, if your balance is greater than $1,000.00. If you would like to receive future royalty payments by wire or have other questions pertaining to electronic transfers, please .

I was previously not a U.S. citizen, but I recently attained U.S. citizenship. How does this affect my royalties?

Please .

I am not a U.S. citizen. Why must I log into GLACIER (an online tax compliance program) and submit my information on their website?

This is a requirement for all foreign individuals. If you have never received a payment from Harvard University, you must log into GLACIER and complete the instructions on the website before you can be paid royalties. For details of this process, please see our information on Royalties for Foreign Authors.

Okay, but how do I log into GLACIER?

You must complete a Vendor Request Form and mail or fax it back to the Royalty Department. Once the Royalty Department has processed the form, you will receive an email containing login details for GLACIER. For details of this process, please see our information on Royalties for Foreign Authors.

If I am a foreign author, how do I get an ITIN and how do I apply for a tax treaty?

Please indicating that you would like to apply for an ITIN and/or tax treaty. You may also wish to review our section on ITINs on the Royalties for Foreign Authors page.

Back to top

Murty Classical Library of India