- Preface to the New Edition
- Introduction: Why Study Top Incomes?
- I. The Evolution of Income Inequality in France in the Twentieth Century
- 1. A Fivefold Increase in “Average” Purchasing Power in the Twentieth Century
- 2. The Evolution of the Level and Composition of Top Incomes in France in the Twentieth Century
- 3. Wage Inequality in France in the Twentieth Century
- II. Top Incomes and Redistribution in France in the Twentieth Century
- 4. Income Tax Legislation from 1914 to 1998
- 5. Who Paid What?
- III. France and the Kuznets Curve
- 6. Was the “End of the Rentiers” a Tax Illusion?
- 7. How Does France Compare with Foreign Experiences?
- Conclusion: Top Incomes in France at the Dawn of the Twenty-First Century
- Appendix A: The Raw Statistical Tables Compiled by the Tax Administration from Income Tax Returns (1915–1998 Tax Years)
- Appendix B: Methodology and Results of Estimates Based on Income Tax Return Statistics (1915–1998 Tax Years)
- Appendix C: Complementary Data on Income Tax Legislation
- Appendix D: Raw Data, Methodology, and Results of Estimates Based on Statistics from Employer Wage Declarations (1919–1938, 1947, and 1950–1998 Wages)
- Appendix E: Estimating Consistent Series for the Blue-Collar Wage and the Average Wage over the Long Run (1900–1998)
- Appendix F: Consumption Price Indexes (1900–1998)
- Appendix G: Methodology and Results of the Estimates Based on the National Accounts Series (1900–1998)
- Appendix H: Population, Households, and Socioprofessional Structure, 1900–1998
- Appendix I: Estimates of the Income Distribution in Twentieth-Century France
- Appendix J: Raw Data, Methodology, and Results of Estimates Based on the Statistics Derived from Bequest Declarations (1902–1994 Bequests)
- Appendix K: Raw Data, Methodology, and Estimates Based on Statistics on the Distribution of Parisian Rents (1889, 1901, and 1911 Rents)
- Works Cited
- Contents in Detail
- List of Tables and Illustrations
Top Incomes in France in the Twentieth Century
Inequality and Redistribution, 1901–1998
$35.00 • £28.95 • €31.50
Publication Date: 05/07/2018
6-3/8 x 9-1/4 inches
1 halftone, 44 graphs, 127 tables