The digital Loeb Classical Library extends the founding mission of James Loeb with an interconnected, fully searchable, perpetually growing virtual library of all that is important in Greek and Latin literature. Now with enhanced navigation »
This is the first volume in the Loeb Classical Library’s complete edition of Hippocrates’ invaluable texts, which provide essential information about the practice of medicine in antiquity and about Greek theories concerning the human body. Here, Paul Potter presents the Greek text with facing English translation of five treatises that showcase the range of Hippocratic theory, philosophy, and practice: Ancient Medicine; Airs, Waters, Places; Epidemics 1 and 3; Precepts; and Nutriment. Also included is the famous Hippocratic Oath.
This Loeb edition replaces the original by W. H. S. Jones.
The works available in the Loeb Classical Library edition of Hippocrates are:
- Volume I: Ancient Medicine. Airs, Waters, Places. Epidemics 1 and 3. The Oath. Precepts. Nutriment.
- Volume II: Prognostic. Regimen in Acute Diseases. The Sacred Disease. The Art. Breaths. Law. Decorum. Physician (Ch. 1). Dentition.
- Volume III: On Wounds in the Head. In the Surgery. On Fractures. On Joints. Mochlicon.
- Volume IV: Nature of Man. Regimen in Health. Humours. Aphorisms. Regimen 1–3. Dreams.
- Volume V: Affections. Diseases 1–2.
- Volume VI: Diseases 3. Internal Affections. Regimen in Acute Diseases (Appendix).
- Volume VII: Epidemics 2 and 4–7.
- Volume VIII: Places in Man. Glands. Fleshes. Prorrhetic 1–2. Physician. Use of Liquids. Ulcers. Haemorrhoids and Fistulas.
- Volume IX: Anatomy. Nature of Bones. Heart. Eight Months’ Child. Coan Prenotions. Crises. Critical Days. Superfetation. Girls. Excision of the Fetus. Sight.
- Volume X: Generation. Nature of the Child. Diseases 4. Nature of Women. Barrenness.
- Volume XI: Diseases of Women 1–2.
(Volume IV also contains the fragments of Heracleitus’ On the Universe.)