Skip to main content
Harvard University Press - home

Royalties FAQ

When will my payment arrive?

All royalty payments are issued annually, starting in March, for royalties earned in the previous year. For example, royalties earned in 2023 will be paid starting in March 2024.

Will I receive a 1099?

You will receive a 1099 if you receive a payment from Harvard University Press. The 1099 will be issued in February of the year after the royalties payment is made. For example, if you receive a royalties payment in March 2024, you will receive a 1099 in February 2025 so that you can complete your 2024 tax returns.

Can I receive my annual royalty statement electronically?

To receive your royalty statement electronically, you must create an account on the Harvard University Press Royalty Portal. Email the Royalty Department ( to request a new account. You will receive a response with an account creation link and instructions for creating your account within two business days.

How do I change my address?

Please email the Royalty Department ( with your new address. Be sure to include your name, address, and Payee Number. You cannot change your address within the Royalty Portal.

Can HUP pay me my royalties via Direct Deposit?

Yes, if you are a U.S. citizen living within the United States. Please email the Royalty Department ( indicating that you would like to receive Direct Deposit royalty payments. Payments in foreign currencies can only be made through wire payments to foreign banks.

I was previously not a U.S. citizen, but I recently attained U.S. citizenship. How does this affect my royalties?

Please email the Royalty Department (

Can someone help me understand a few terms found in my royalty statement?

Here are some common terms found in your royalty statement:

Payee Number - This is your unique identification number within Harvard University Press.

Earnings Retention / Reserve Against Returns - This is 15% of your royalties earned on print sales for the current year. HUP will withhold that portion of your royalties for one year. The money will be returned to your statement the following year.

Refund of Retained Income - Royalties that HUP withheld the previous year. This money is included in your current royalty statement.

I reside outside the U.S. and am not an U.S. citizen. Are there any special instructions for me?

All foreign authors are required to fill out the Vendor Request Form (available for download at the end of this FAQ) in order to receive royalty payments from Harvard University Press. Please follow the instructions on the form and return it by mail or fax. Address and fax number provided on the form.

After your information is entered into Harvard’s payment system, you will receive an email containing login information to GLACIER, an online tax compliance program. You will need to login, complete the program, and return the completed forms along with copies of your visa documents to Harvard in order to receive payments.

United States tax law requires that Harvard University withhold 30% of any payment to foreign individuals. However, foreign individuals who reside in countries that have a tax treaty with the United States can apply for an exemption from this requirement.

You must apply for the tax treaty through GLACIER.

What is a Taxpayer Identification Number?

If you are claiming exemption from withholding using Form W-8BEN, you must provide a United States Taxpayer Identification Number. A valid Taxpayer Identification Number is either an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), or a Social Security Number (SSN), assigned by the Social Security Administration.

Tax identification numbers assigned by your own country are not acceptable.

How do I apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?

You can apply for an ITIN from the Internal Revenue Service by completing Form W-7. For more information, please visit the Internal Revenue Service page on obtaining an ITIN from aborad. Upon completion, Form W-7 should be mailed directly to the Internal Revenue Service:                                         

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342, USA

Please do not send the ITIN or SSN application forms to Harvard University Press.

For more information on Harvard University tax policies, please visit the university's webpage on Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance ( or call them at 617- 495-8500.